(Title being another vague reference to The Simpsons... if you've known me long enough, you would know that this is to be expected =P)
Alright... on my 3 day break from work until the weekend... then it's two weekends of night shifts straight... sigh... and to sweeten the deal, huge maintenance project this weekend. Joy...
I actually sat in the project preview meeting yesterday on recommendation that I do just to see what the process is for planning these things. Usually, my team's presence isn't required as our team managers are usually there on behalf of us. After sitting through it though, I think it's better if one of us goes instead because our bosses don't know our jobs 100% and usually miss out on things that are assigned to us but due to something missing or not set up right, we end up not being able to do it at all. With one of us there, we can easily go through the steps we're assigned and chime in if there's any difficulty or one of those things that we aren't responsible for. I think just being more involved will allow our team to "show off" how 'valuable' we are to the rest of the department which so far appears to question our everyday existence. But even so, building inter-department unity and cooperation is already a good thing too.
When I walked out of the meeting, it dawned on me just how much more insignificant I felt. Going through my brain and knowing what kind of skills I possess and comparing it to the more senior SAs and other IT gurus, I realise I have farrrr FARRRR more to go in terms of IT knowledge. I'm like.. SHIT... I really know jack compared to these guys.. I hope this kind of experience will only motivate me to pick up on my online courses and learning UNIX faster. But I know as I'm a bit "older" now (hears laughing in the background... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!), my ability to learn new things has diminished greatly. Maybe my timeline of jumping to a new department in a year is too ambitious for my slow brain... I guess I might have to linger on another year at most then. However, any longer and I'll collapse from this job... ugh..
I didn't end up doing any test drives today like I planned. Instead, went to a body shop to get a repair estimate. It's not as bad as I feared, but still a bit pricy.. sigh... the lessons I have to learn. Gotta take care of the new car better. I'm still heavily undecided on the new car simply because what I REALLY REALLY REALLY want won't be available until the end of the year earliest. Damn you VW!!
Once again, another boring post right? =P Blah!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
hahaha..thats ME! thats ME! laughing in the background =P
Post a Comment