I don't feel like writing about it right now, so I'll tell another WWII story to give you the end result.
OPERATION TIDAL WAVE
August 1, 1943
Target: Oil Refineries at Ploesti, Romania
On August 1, 1943, 177 US bombers took off from Benghazi, Libya to attack oil refineries in Ploesti, Romania. This site was unreachable by aircraft operating from England so they were never attacked until this day. However, this gave considerable time to prepare anti-aircraft defenses in the area. Indeed, they had become quite formidable.
Of the 177 bombers sent, only 88 were able to make the trip home. 53 were shot down and the rest either ditched in the Mediterranean Sea or landed elsewhere. The raid had been estimated to destroy 66% of the refinery capacity, but the refineries were not running at full capacity anyways so production was diverted to undamaged areas and the site was able to resume pre-raid production levels within weeks.
In short, after all that effort, nothing changed. Right now, that is how I feel. I've done what I wanted to do, but no conclusive result occurred. So it is still the status quo. And to me that just sucks.

No comments:
Post a Comment