
Seeing how I'm such a hobby military historian and my love for Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, I couldn't believe I waited this long to finally watch this movie. Tae Guk Gi obviously is about the Korean War. Great movie. I'd be shedding tears right now if it wasn't for the fact that I'm at work and really shouldn't. But yeah, so good. Very touching... and once again, it feeds my train of thought right now. So I'll write it out for you, my beloved readers. Har har har.
Looking at the awesome production quality of this movie, I'm thinking about how that we're reaching the time when not many war veterans from WWII are left, (and heck, I'd be surprised to see any WWI vets still alive...) and movies have been made about the war from the American, Canadian, and now Korean side. I think you can see where I'm going... yup. I'm thinking about, what about the Chinese army in WWII? Or even during the Civil War in 1949. Watching this movie made me think about 1949... because it was generally the same, Communist vs. Non-Communist. I doubt that any chinese director would be able to make a movie as big as Private Ryan or Tae Guk Gi to tell the story about 1949. It'll end up being biased towards the Communists if done by Mainland China and I bet the Taiwanese wouldn't touch this w/ a 100-foot pole b/c they lost. Too shameful/personal for them I think... I wonder if someone will prove me wrong.
It's too bad because the veterans that fought those wars won't be around for much longer. To be able to put to film their experiences for those of us that weren't there to see and feel it, I think that it would allow these vets to share their untold stories. In fact, I wonder how many history books were written about our wars. Probably a lot, but they must be in Chinese and thus out of my reach. Gotta find some english ones. I want to know more about those times. Watching Tae Guk Gi makes me feel once again, that I was born in the wrong time... War is hell, but I keep thinking I'd be more at home in that hell than the hell I feel I'm in now... sigh...
Yup. I Am Crazy.
Didn't you know that already?

No comments:
Post a Comment