It's a new year. It's pretty much assumed that most Western people that celebrate new year's would come up with resolutions or things they should do this year to change and what not. Sometimes, it works. Other times, it doesn't work that well. In any case, the effort is made. I choose to be one of those people this year to make that effort.
While I say this now, it's always a question of whether or not it will last. True, my record hasn't exactly been problem-free and I'll be honest to admit that I have enough times of just saying, "meh..." and letting things slip by to realise that I have a rather tall hill to climb. However, there are some things different this year that I hope could help push me along...
I've started reading a book called "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." I'm trying to do the personal change thingy so what better book to read than that? I find it very interesting and I'm wondering if stuff like this work. It does for some, but I have to wonder if I'll actually put it into use for it to work. I'm in a pretty deep rut that's hard to get out of. However, nothing is impossible. I just wonder if I'm just being impatient and hoping for things to change like NOW NOW versus letting it gradually happen. I still have time yet I also DON'T have time... if you get my drift. Err... maybe not.
The book really does hit some good points about changing the way one sees things. Something that should be pretty obvious but isn't that obvious for me is that I seem to worry and cuss about a lot of things that I don't have any direct control over. Things like world issues that are so far away that I really shouldn't think too much about. I mean, what can I do right? It's not like I have my "invincible army out there to do my bidding and take over the world MUHAHAHA" thing... =P. What the book says is that I should rather focus on the things that I DO have direct control over and deal with those. It's the whole "Circle of Influence" versus "Circle of Concern" kind of thing. I should work on the things I can influence, which in turn will work out towards things that are of my concern. To put it simply, change happens from within. Geez... you would think something as simple as that could've been understood by me a LOT earlier... alas... apparently lots of things like these are missed by a lot of people.
I definitely hope to start doing that from now on. Everything that is a lot more directly influenced by me, I should change. Change some habits, get into some routines, start seriously thinking about achieving some goals... and to start letting go of some things... or maybe... just that ONE thing I can't seem to be able to... ai... yeap... that again.
No matter. I think the important thing is that it always comes down to a matter of choice. Another thing the book brings up... how we CHOOSE to deal with what life gives us and how we choose to react to things. Choice... forget alcohol being the cause of and solution to all of life's problems =P. So, what choices do I have to make this year? I don't know yet. For one thing, get a new job, buy my car, start saving up to move out... or... hmm, let's not get into that.
It's going to be another TOUGH year. For one thing, I need to beef up my spiritual life too. I've been a bit lax there... and so, I end with the prayer that according to the book, is the prayer for AA (Alcoholics Anonymous). I'm far from an alcoholic, but the words of this prayer means a lot to me. I've already printed it out and I intend to read this everyday:
"Lord,
Give me the courage to change the things which can and ought to be changed, the serenity to accept the things which cannot be changed, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen."
Boy, I really need to keep in touch with Him more often... I'm getting jaded. =P
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment